Tinkering around on a project my wife asked me to build for her, a wine bottle tree for the beds around the pool. I was waiting for some parts and for the paint to dry on the bike project so I had some time to put one together.
Sketched out concept I had in my head for the bottle tree while I was taking a break from work. Just to get a rough idea of what I was going to do.
I ended up changing the measurements after tinkering with it a bit, but the sketch is the concept of what I had in my head.
Picked up some 3/8″ rebar from Lowe’s and cut it up. Here is my cut list for the rebar:
- 2 x 18″ Bottom branches. I originally had the bottom branches at 24″ but ended up cutting them down to 18″ after it was all put together.
- 4 x 16″ Middle branches
- 4 x 14″ Top branches
- 1 x 48″ Trunk
A wine bottle is about 12″ deep so the branches needed to be more than 12″ long. The tree will hold 11 bottles, 10 on the branches and 1 on the top of the trunk.
Laid it all out on the welding table and tacked the branches to the trunk with my Forney Easy Weld 140MP.
Once I had all the branches tacked up I finished welding them to the trunk.
With everything put together it didn’t look quite right at the bottom. The 24″ bottom branches were too long, so I cut them down to 18″, so each level of branches is 2″ shorter than the level below it which gives it a pretty nice shape. When we get bottles on all the branches I can make other adjustments to the branch lengths if needed.
Went over the whole thing with some sandpaper, cleaned off the dust, and then sprayed it with a couple of coats of Rustoleum black paint.
Spent less than $20 for the rebar, already had some paint, and it took a couple hours to put it all together. Turned out pretty good. Sandy likes it. Now she just needs to empty enough wine bottles to fill it up. Need 8 more bottles, drink up baby.