Looks like the reason we are not able to get the Sporty to start is the ignition module. So replacing it with a Compu-Fire Ignition kit which I ordered and is on the way. Since I am waiting on parts I decided to go ahead and wrap the exhaust pipes with exhaust wrap.
I don’t know if wrapping the exhaust provides any benefits or causes any issues, but sometimes you just gotta do some stuff that looks cool. I think an exhaust wrapped with header wrap looks cool.
Picked up a 50′ roll of fiberglass exhaust wrap on Amazon.
I also ordered a can of black High-Temperature Silicone Coating Spray.
The wrap came with some stainless steel ties, but I didn’t like the way they looked or the way they held. I used 2 1/2″ hose clamps to hold the exhaust wrap in place. Start at the end of the pipe and wrap up towards the exhaust manifold. Wrap the pipes tight overlapping the previous wrap.
This wrap is made out of fiberglass so wear gloves. If you don’t you are in for a bunch of suck, your hands will itch for hours.
In the past when I wrapped the exhaust on the Heritage I soaked the wrap in water first. IMHO this doesn’t make it any easier to apply the wrap, nor does it allow you to wrap the pipes any tighter. Really the only thing soaking the wrap does (again IMHO) is makes a huge mess. Once the pipe is wrapped you can work it to get it tight before tightening down the final clamp. If it is not tight enough or you cannot get it to look like you want it to, just unwrap and start over.
Once the pipe is wrapped I hit it with the black High-Temperature Silicone Coating Spray.
You can really see the difference between a pipe sprayed with the black High-Temperature Silicone Coating Spray and the one which has not been sprayed yet.
Based on my past experience this color will fade out very quickly, but the silicone spray is suppose to add some protection to the wrap to help keep it clean and to increase it’s life. I happen to like the look of it once the color fades out.
The 50′ roll of exhaust wrap was enough to cover both pipes with a couple feet to spare.
One can of High-Temperature Silicone Coating Spray was enough for the job and I have enough left to do any touch up if needed (probably enough to shoot another set of pipes).
The pipes are going to look great on the bike!
I should have the ignition kit by the end of the week, so fingers crossed she will run next weekend.